Saturday, July 28, 2012

Quotes on Reading

Today's topic is based on two quotes about reading. I'll give you my opinion on them.
"Readers may be divided into four classes:
1) Sponges, who absorb all that they read and return it in nearly the same state, only a little dirtied.
2) Sand-glasses, who retain nothing and are content to get through a book for the sake of getting through the time.
3) Strain-bags, who retain merely the dregs of what they read. 
4) Mogul diamonds, equally rare and valuable, who profit by what they read, and enable others to profit by it also”                   
-Samuel Coleridge

"Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."                                                  
-Albert Einstien

What I'm going to do today is find out who I think the man who Albert Einstein was talking about according to Samuel Coleridge. I will start with the 4th choice on the top quote. This man, M, would not be a Mogul Diamond because he is neither valuable, nor is gaining a profit. M would probably not be a Strain bag, because though he could fit into the qualities of a Strain-Bag, I think a more suitable classification is still somewhere up the list. I don't think M is a Sand-glass either, because he is probably not reading to pass time. He is probably reading because he has nothing better to do, making him a sponge. He will take in information and return, without changing it or inputting his own opinions.



Which of the four classes of readers do I think I fit into?I'd love to be a Mogul Diamond, but I don't think I fit into that class of reader. I think I would be a Class # 5, that is the one I think should be added to Samuel Coleridge's list. It's describes a reader who has a passion for reading, interprets it in his/her own way, but is quick to reject a book he/she thinks they don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment